|Written by||Jimmie H. Davis and Charles Mitchell|
|Publisher||Alfred Publishing Co., Inc.|
"You Are My Sunshine" is a popular upbeat song. The song was first recorded by one of its composers, Jimmie Davis, who was also governor of Louisiana from 1944-1948 and 1960-1964. Bing Crosby's version of the song climbed to #20 on the pop charts, and Ray Charles's rendition reached #1 on the R&B charts. It was Davis' popularity as governor, as well as the public's appreciation of the song, that led "You Are My Sunshine" to become an official state song of Louisiana in 1977.
The Muppets have performed the song several times.
- A yellow creature sings an excerpt of "You Are My Sunshine" in the "Hugga Wugga" sketch, which was first performed in Movin' with Nancy: Nice 'n' Easy in 1971 (under the title "Buggy Mugger") and then in episode 118 of The Muppet Show.
- Dave Goelz, Frank Oz, Kevin Clash, Steve Whitmire, Jerry Nelson, and Richard Hunt performed the song at Jim Henson's public memorial service.
- As part of "Hugga Wugga" on the UK release of The Muppet Show (album)
- Anne Murray Sings for the Sesame Street Generation (1979)
- Sung by Bob McGrath on Bob Sings!