Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
When Families Grieve is a continuation of Sesame Workshop's Talk, Listen, Connect initiative that provides resources and emotional support to military families. The hour-long primetime television special features Katie Couric and the Sesame Street Muppets. The special presents personal stories about families coping with the death of a parent, as well as strategies that have helped these families move forward.
The special aired on PBS on April 14, 2010 in conjunction with the Month of the Military Child, and it's part of a multimedia, bi-lingual (English and Spanish) outreach kit for national distribution immediately following the airing.
All materials became available at Sesameworkshop.org on April 15th.
It was nominated for "Outstanding Children's Nonfiction Program" at the 2010 Primetime Emmy Awards, loosing to its only competitor, Nick News With Linda Ellerbee - The Face Of Courage: Kids Living With Cancer.
In a "street story," Elmo and his family cope with the death of his Uncle Jack. In wraparound segments, host Katie Couric talks about coping with Elmo and his cousin Jesse, and the monsters interact with real kids and families. Appearing in the "story" segments only are Jack's wife Jill and Elmo's parents Louie and Mae.
- Kevin Clash as Elmo
- Leslie Carrara as Jesse
- with John Kennedy
- Carmen Osbahr as Rosita
- Bill Barretta as Louie
- Fran Brill as Mae
- Stephanie D'Abruzzo as Jill
- with Matt Vogel, Tracie Mick, Heather Asch
- Directed by Nancy Stern
- Written by Christine Ferraro
- Producer/Senior Creative Consultant/Sesame Street story directed by: Kevin Clash
- Jim Henson's Creature Shop Workshop Crew: Jason Weber, Connie Peterson, Rollie Krewson, Polly Smith, Michelle Hickey, Heather Asch, Lara MacLean, Marc Borders, Molly Light, Colette Nickola, Loryn Brantz
- "Give Your Heart a Little Time" music and lyrics by Mark Radice (sung by Radice, Kathryn Rao)
- Music by Peter Calandra
- Associate director: Ken Diego
- Production designer: Cassandra Boyd
- Production Designer (Sesame Street story): Victor DiNapoli