|Written by||Joe Raposo|
|Publisher||Jonico Music, Inc.|
"What Makes Music?" is a Sesame Street song about the many things which are musical and how "When you're happy on the inside, ev'rything you hear is music." The song was later released on Sesame Disco! in a new disco arrangement.
The song was remade by Elmo, Alan, the Kids, a Honker, a Dinger, Oscar the Grouch and Telly Monster in the 2000 home video Let's Make Music. Bob also performed the song on the show in a season 23 episode.
An instrumental of the disco version of the tune plays over a video of David called "David Disco Skates."
The song was sung by Elmo, Rosita, Bob, Gordon, Maria, and Alan in the Evening at Pops program in 2001. The cast also performed the song in the 2009 Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade as a part of a medley with "Sing."
- 60 Favorite Songs from Sesame Street (1975)
- Sesame Disco! (1979) (disco version)
- What Makes Music? (disco version)/Doin' the Trash (single, 1979)
- Sesame Street Treasury (album) (1980)
- Let's Make Music (2000)
- The Sesame Street Songbook (1971 edition only)