Upstairs, Downstairs is a British drama, focusing on an Edwardian family and especially their large domestic staff. First produced in 1971 and running until 1975 in England, the series received its American debut on the PBS series Masterpiece Theater from 1974 to 1977, and was repeated many times over the years.
Later, series stars Gordon Jackson (Hudson the butler) and Jean Marsh (Rose the maid) appeared on Sesame Street, dressed in character and suitably prim and proper, in the celebrity version of Put Down the Duckie.
- Richenda Carey played the head nurse in "Tug of War" (1974)
- Robert Hardy played Sir Guy Paynter in "Such a Lovely Man" (1975)
- Horst Janson played Baron Klaus von Rimmer in "A Suitable Marriage" (1971)
- Phyllida Law played Lady Constance Weir in "The Hero's Farewell" (1974)
- Frank Middlemass played Albert Lyons in "The Sudden Storm" (1974)
- Joan Sanderson played Mrs. Waddilove in "Noblesse Oblige" (1975)
- Richard Vernon played Major Cochrane-Danby in "A Change of Scene" and "The Bolter" (1973)