The United Nations (UN) is an international organization whose stated aims are facilitating cooperation in international law, international security, economic development, social progress, human rights, and achievement of world peace. The UN was founded in 1945 after World War II to replace the League of Nations, to stop wars between countries, and to provide a platform for dialogue.
There are currently 193 member states, including every internationally recognised sovereign state in the world but the Vatican City. The Muppets have worked with their organization UNICEF on multiple occassions.
- Kermit the Frog wrote and appeared in the book For Every Child, A Better World, a fundraiser for the United Nations.
- In the 1993 book I Want to Be President, Betty Lou watches the President make a speech at the United Nations building, which inspires her to become President.
- Sesame Street productions often recognize United Nations observances on social media, like the International Day of Families (see Jonas Brothers) or World Toilet Day (Galli Galli Sim Sim on Facebook).
- Kofi Annan, Secretary-General of the United Nations from 1997 to 2007, has appeared on Sesame Street, as well as the South African co-production, Takalani Sesame.
- Pearl Bailey was appointed as a special ambassador to the United Nations in 1975 by President Gerald Ford.