An animated typewriter with eyes and arms, and mobile wheels appeared on Sesame Street beginning in Season 6. The Typewriter would demonstrate letters by typing out the letter, and a word beginning with it, on himself. He often fumbled, which frustrated him. The Typewriter's most notable dialogue, apart from announcing the letter and the word, was his trademark "Noo-nee-noo-nee-noo" sounds. Twenty-six shorts were produced, one for each letter of the alphabet, and continued to appear on Sesame Street as late as Season 35.
In 2007, new Typewriter shorts were produced for the Old School: Volume 2 DVD set. Joey Mazzarino provided the character's voice for these segments. They were produced by Wachtenheim/Marianetti Animation, who also provided the animation for many of Saturday Night Live's "TV Funhouse" sketches.
|Picture||Letter / EKA||Description|
| A - Airplane|
| The Typewriter's experiment in flight.
| B - Ball|
| An encounter with a giant ball.
| C - Cat|
| The Typewriter encounters a large cat, which he reduces in size by typing "little cat," and scaring it off with a "WOOF-WOOF!"
| D - Daisy|
| A giant daisy grows beneath the Typewriter.
| E - Ear|
| The Typewriter and a giant Ear.
| F - Fly|
| Not the insect, but rather, the Typewriter again soars into the air.
| G - Glue|
| The Typewriter gets stuck on a spot of glue.
| H - Hand|
| The Typewriter encounters a giant hand.
| I - Ink|
|The Typewriter runs out of fluid.|
| J - Jump|
|The Typewriter types J for Jump, then jumps after a frog.|
| K - Key|
|The Typewriter unlocks a passage.|
| L - Lion|
| The Typewriter encounters another "large" feline.
| M - Magic|
| The Typewriter performs a few tricks.
| N- Nose|
| More fun with body parts.
| O - Owl|
|The Typewriter is always a hoot.|
| P - Pencil|
| The Typewriter tries another writing implement.
| Q - Quiet|
| The Typewriter seeks silence.
| R- Rope|
| The Typewriter plays jumprope.
| S - Spring|
| The Typewriter has a loose spring.
| T - Train|
| The Typewriter and an electric train.
| U - Umbrella|
| The Typewriter traps himself in an umbrella.
| V - Vacuum|
| The Typewriter deals with a cleaning implement.
| W - Wall|
| The Typewriter hits a barrier.
| X - X-Ray|
| The Typewriter gets a check-up.
| Y - Yo-yo|
| The Typewriter knocks himself for a loop.
| Z - Zoo|
| The Typewriter and wildlife.
Old School: Volume 2
The typewriter later appeared in special openings and closings that appear in Old School: Volume 2 (now voiced by Joey Mazzarino). These new segments were made by Wachtenheim/Marianetti, who also produced several TV Funhouse cartoons for Saturday Night Live.
- Introduction: The typewriter sees a computer which says that the episodes included are meant for adults and may not meet today's educational needs. He unplugs the computer, and types "Old School."
- Closing: The typewriter plays Pong on his computer.
- Introduction: The typewriter types "hair" and grows hair all over his body.
- Closing: The typewriter changes the word to "haircut."
- Introduction: The typewriter types "s—suit" and gets a big suit.
- Closing: The typewriter now types "suitcase."
- Introduction: The typewriter types "macho," and a muscular man appears.
- Closing: The typewriter changes "macho" to "nacho."
- Introduction: The typewriter types "disco."
- Closing: The typewriter now types "disco ball."