Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Released||Feb. 16, 1990|
|Written by||Allan Scott (adapted screenplay), Roald Dahl (book)|
The Witches is a 1990 film based on a book by Roald Dahl. The film adaptation was produced by Jim Henson Productions, with effects by the Creature Shop. Jim Henson himself received an executive producer credit.
A young orphan named Luke is staying with his grandmother in a large British hotel. While roaming the hotel, Luke discovers that the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children, which is holding a convention in the hotel, is actually a coalition of witches. Luke overhears the Grand High Witch explaining their plan to turn the world's children into mice, but before he can make any attempt to stop them, he is caught eavesdropping and turned into a mouse himself. It is then up to Luke to survive the dangers of life as a rodent and foil the witches' scheme.
- At the suggestion of Bernie Brillstein, two different endings were shot: An ending more like the ending of the book, in which Luke remains a mouse, and the ending that made it to the film, in which Luke becomes human again. Both endings were screened to test audiences. As a result of the test screenings, scenes deemed too scary were shortened or removed from the final version of the film.
- In North America, the film has yet to be released in its original 1.85:1 screen-aspect ratio on DVD. All copies there are presented in a cropped 1.33:1 full-screen ratio.
- Anjelica Huston as Miss Ernst/Grand High Witch
- Mai Zetterling as Helga
- Jasen Fisher as Luke
- Rowan Atkinson as Mr. Stringer
- Bill Paterson as Mr. Jenkins
- Brenda Blethyn as Mrs. Jenkins
- Charlie Potter as Bruno Jenkins
- Anne Lambton as Woman in Black
- Jane Horrocks as Miss Irvine