In episode 5.16 "Eppur Si Muove", which aired on March 3, 2004, First Lady Abby Bartlet (Stockard Channing), who is a medical doctor, attempts to change her public image by starring in a medical public service announcement with Sesame Street characters. She gives Elmo an examination, appearing with a Muppet Doctor, while Big Bird, Rosita, and Zoe also make appearances.
In a separate scene in the same episode, Press Secretary C.J. Cregg (Allison Janney) has an awkward encounter with Big Bird. C.J., whose Secret Service codename is "Flamingo," is often teased because of her height.
An insert featuring Channing, Janney, and Lily Tomlin (Deborah Fiderer), dancing in character and on the West Wing set, was filmed at the same time for inclusion in the celebrity version of "Dance Myself to Sleep."
- Caroll Spinney as Big Bird
- Kevin Clash as Elmo
- Fran Brill as Zoe
- Carmen Osbahr as Rosita
- Joey Mazzarino as Muppet Doctor
- Alice Dinnean as Rosita's Right Hand
- Paul McGinnis as Elmo's Right Hand
In episode 1.13 "Take Out the Trash Day", White House Communications Director Toby Ziegler defends the National Endowment for the Arts and by extension, Children's Television Workshop, the Muppets and Julia Child. One character references licensing revenues for Big Bird and Fozzie Bear (referred to at first as "Fuzzy Bear").
In addition to the previously mentioned names, several actors on The West Wing also appeared in Muppet/Creature Shop productions.
- John Aylward played former DNC chairman Barry Goodwin in six episodes
- Corbin Bernsen played Henry Shallick in "Bartlet's Third State of the Union" and "The Leadership Breakfast"
- Kristin Chenoweth played Annabeth Schott
- Glenn Close played Justice Evelyn Baker Lang in "The Supremes"
- Bill Cobbs played Alan Tatum in "Enemies Foreign and Domestic"
- Jesse Corti played Dave Stewart in "The Midterms"
- James Denton played Tom Jordan in " The Midterms"
- Laura Dern played U.S. Poet Laureate Tabatha Fortis in "U.S. Poet Laureate"
- Taye Diggs played Secret Service Agent Wesley
- Gerald R. Ford appeared as himself in The West Wing Documentary
- David Gergen appeared as himself in The West Wing Documentary
- Philip Baker Hall played Senator Matt Hunt in "A Change Is Gonna Come" and "An Khe"
- William Hootkins played a U.S. translator in "Impact Winter"
- Makram Khoury played Palestinian Chairman Nizar Farad in "The Binam Wood" and "Third Day Story."
- Bruce Kirby played Barney Lang in "The Women of Qumar"
- Christopher Lloyd played Lawrence Lessig in "The Wake Up Call"
- John Bedford Lloyd played Lloyd Russell in "Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc"
- Marlee Matlin played Joey Lucas
- Keb' Mo' played himself in "Tomorrow"
- Austin Pendleton played Barry Haskell in "Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics"
- Robert Picardo played E. Bradford Shelton in "The Supremes"
- Oliver Platt played Oliver Babish in nine episodes
- Martin Sheen played President Jed Bartlet
- Allison Smith played Mallory O'Brien
- Jimmy Smits played Congressman Matthew Santos
- John Spencer played Leo McGarry
- Paxton Whitehead played Bernard Thatch in "Noel" and "A Change is Gonna Come"
- Ellis E. Williams played Reverend Schuyler in "Bartlet for America"