The Village People are a musical group formed in 1977, best known for their hit disco tunes and their use of costumes, portraying American stereotypes.
- "In the Navy" -- The Muppet Show episode 524
- "Macho Man" -- The Muppet Show episode 405
- "You Can't Stop the Music" -- Sesame Street Live Can't Stop Singing
- The Sesame Street songs "Stretch, Wiggle, Yay!" and "E. L. M. O." parody the group's biggest hit "Y.M.C.A."
- Episode 212 of Muppets Tonight features a parody of the group called "The Village Spiders", who perform their hit "Macho Bug" before getting crushed by a falling light.
- In an animated intro for a 1977 episode of Sesame Street on the Old School: Volume 2 DVD, the Typewriter types the word "macho", summoning a muscular construction worker resembling David Hodo.
- In his book Before You Leap, Kermit says that one of his first jobs was a stint with The Village People as a cowboy.