The State is a sketch comedy show that aired on MTV from 1993-1995.
- Episode 2 of the second season contained a sketch called "Eating Muppets," featuring The State actors Michael Showalter, Kerri Kenney, Todd Holoubek, Ken Marino, and David Wain. The sketch involved two couples calling Sesame Street-esque puppets to the window and killing them for their meat.
- A poster with Oscar the Grouch and Cookie Monster appears in the background of a sketch called "Down the Pants" in episode 3 of the second season.
- In episode 3 of the third season, David Wain's character is seen sleeping with a Grover doll in "The Restaurant Sketch".
- In The State's previous television series, You Wrote It, You Watch It, a sketch entitled "The New Guy" features Robert Ben Garant wearing a Big Bird t-shirt and Michael Ian Black holding a Grover doll.
- The State's travel book, State By State with The State, in a passage on how to get to New Hampshire by car, notes that "The long thin thing (shaped like Bert) makes it go, and the wide, shorter pedal (shaped like Ernie) makes it stop."
- Also in the travel book, Mississippi's state mascot is listed as "Big Bird (as portrayed by David Brenner)".
- Alice Cooper as himself in season 2, episode 4
- Christopher Michael Gerrard as Young Kid in season 1, episode 3
- Gilbert Gottfried as Soup Guy in season 1, episode 3
- Jon Stewart as Fanmail Guy in season 2, episode 4