In May 2006, an exhibit called Muppets and Mechanisms opened at the Smithsonian. The exhibit, divided into three displays at the American History Museum, featured nine puppets from the original Sam and Friends show; a display of characters puppeteered by Jim Henson including Dr. Teeth, Rowlf the Dog, Kermit, and Jim; and animatronic figures and mechanisms from The Dark Crystal and Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas. Jane Henson opened the exhibit.
Jane Henson, on behalf of the Jim Henson family, donated 10 of the original Sam and Friends puppets to the Smithsonian’s National Museum of American History on August 25, 2010. These included the original Kermit, Pierre the French Rat, Yorick, Mushmellon, Sam, Harry the Hipster, Chicken Liver, Icky Gunk, Moldy Hay, and Professor Madcliffe. The puppets will be displayed in the pop culture gallery, and there are plans to include clips of the show to the display. Jane Henson stated that the family plans to donate a dozen more puppets to the Smithsonian in the future, possibly including Miss Piggy. 
A traveling Smithsonian exhibit of Muppets opened Sept. 24, 2010 at Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry.
Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian is a film about museum artifacts at the Smithsonian coming to life. Oscar the Grouch makes a cameo in the film.
- Guy Gilchrist's artwork from The Muppets comic strip
- a Fraggle Rock lunch box purchased in 1988 for an exhibit at NAMH
- a 1970 photo puppet of Kermit ; it toured with the exhibit "America's Smithsonian", which began in 1996.
- a copy of the 1971 Frog Prince soundtrack [americanhistory.si.edu/collections/search/object/nmah_1300202]
- a copy of the 1977 Parker Brothers trade catalogue, including The Muppet Show Game 
- a 1983 Sesame Street lunch box 
- Aladdin Industries, Inc. Records, 1889-2002, including records related to their licensing
- ↑ Kermit the Frog Comes Home to Washington, smithsonian.org, SI-368-2010
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Original Kermit donated to Smithsonian Brett Zongker, associated press, washingtontimes.com, 25-aug-2010
- Kermit at the Smithsonian
- Smithsonian New Arrivals Site
- Muppets and Mechanisms Exhibition Page
- "Jim Henson's Muppets Get The Smithsonian Treatment", from The Washington Post, May 19, 2006.