The Metropolitan Opera of New York City was founded in April 1880, and is a major presenter of all types of opera. The Met is America's largest classical music organization, and annually presents some 220 opera performances.
- Mildred Huxtetter once aspired to join the group as a soprano.
- Mr. Snuffleupagus is a big fan of opera music, and at one point attended daily rehearsals at the Metropolitan Opera House.
- Zubin Beckmesser was the leader of the Met in a Muppet News Flash segment in The Muppet Show episode 513.
- Grover is assigned to play the cannon in the Monsterpolitan Opera performance of the "1812 Overture".
- Phil Harmonic is the host of the Nestropolitan Opera's "Live from the Nest" opera series. Among the operas performed there is "Peligro."