The Lion King is a 1994 Academy Award winning animated film from Walt Disney Animation Studios. Taking much of its story from William Shakespeare's Hamlet, the film is one of the highest grossing animated films of all time, and was adapated for the Broadway stage in 1997.
- A 1995 episode of Sesame Street features "The Chicken King," directed by Walt Dizzy. In the film, a lion who wants to be king tries and fails to turn a corn cob into an egg, and is bested by Elmo (in a chicken outfit) who eats the corn and in turn lays an egg.
- In the Elmo's World episode "Wild Animals", the Lecture Lady announces that following "Wild, Wild Kingdom" is The Lion King with Tiger Woods.
- Among the theatre credits listed on his resume submitted for his audition for the 2016 Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, Pepe included "The Lying King."
- Kenneth Aikens played Young Simba on Broadway, beginning in 2017
- Rowan Atkinson voiced Zazu in the film
- Lacey Chabert voiced young Vitani in Simba's Pride
- Heather Headley played Nala in the original Broadway production
- Edward Hibbert voiced Zazu in Simba's Pride
- Jeremy Irons voiced Scar
- Elton John composed the songs for the film and Broadway Musical.
- Chantylla Johnson played Nala in various productions
- James Earl Jones voiced Mufasa
- Whoopi Goldberg voiced Shenzi
- Bruce Lanoil voiced Timon in Kingdom Hearts II and the Timon & Pumbaa's Wild About Safety shorts
- Nathan Lane voiced Timon
- Eric-Jan Lens understudied for Zazu, Timon and Ed in the Dutch adapation of the musical
- Mark Mangini was a supervising sound editor on the film
- Cheech Marin voiced Banzai
- Brett O'Quinn puppeteered Legend of The Lion King for the Disney theme parks
- Jonathan Taylor Thomas voiced young Simba
- Carmen Twillie sang lead vocals on "Circle of Life"
- Hans Zimmer scored the film