The Karate Kid was a 1984 film following in the vein of the Rocky movies, about an underdog high school student who trains under his apartment's handyman, Mr. Miyagi, to win the heart of a girl and ward off the attacks of her ex-boyfriend. The film spawned a franchise including multiple sequels, and an Academy Award nomination for Pat Morita as Mr. Miyagi.
- In the Muppet Babies episode "This Little Piggy Went to Hollywood," Baby Piggy dreams of becoming a Hollywood star. During a song montage, one of the films she's shown to have starred in is "The Karate Pig."
- Pat Johnson played the tournament referee in the first three movies and was stunt coordinator/martial arts choreographer from The Karate Kid through The Next Karate Kid (1994)
- Pat Morita played Mr. Kesuke Miyagi in the original four movies
- Jerry Weintraub was a producer on the film
- B. D. Wong played a boy on the street in The Karate Kid, Part II (1986)