The Hunger Games is the first in a series of young adult novels written by Suzanne Collins between 2008 and 2010. It tells the story of a futuristic society in which adolescents are drafted by the government to compete in a fight to the death as reality entertainment.
- In an online video for Entertainment Weekly, Cookie Monster plays Katniss in a musical abbreviation of the story.
- "Oh, me the tribute from Sesame Street,
- hunting cookies 'cuz they good to eat.
- In this terrible distopia,
- making me way to cookie-copia."
- A teaser for the home video release of The Muppets capitalized on the March 2012 release of a theatrical adaptation of the first book.
- An edition of "Cookie's Crumby Pictures" parodies the film series with "The Hungry Games: Catching Fur." Cookie Monster portrays "Cookie-ness Evereat," who complains about the never-ending franchise. Other featured characters include Finicky (Finnick in the movie), Pita (Peeta spoofed as talking bread), and "Tick Tock Lady" (Wiress). The sketch was written months before the film version of Catching Fire debuted, airing one day in advance in the US.
- When Kermit books Elizabeth Banks on Up Late with Miss Piggy in The Muppets episode "Pig Girls Don't Cry", he's quickly told that Piggy doesn't want her as a guest because her audition for The Hunger Games opposite Banks went viral on the internet, but it's later revealed that that wasn't the real reason.
- Elizabeth Banks played Effie Trinket
- Liam Hemsworth played Gale Hawthorne
- Toby Jones played Claudius Templesmith
- Julianne Moore played President Alma Coin in The Hunger Games: Mockingjay parts 1 and 2
- Misty Rosas performed stunt work for The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
- Amandla Stenberg played Rue
- Taylor Swift wrote two songs for The Hunger Games soundtrack
- Stanley Tucci played Caesar Flickerman