The Frog Prince is a classic fairy tale (most famously told by The Brothers Grimm) about a princess, who befriends a frog that's actually a prince under a spell. In most versions, the spell is broken by a kiss between the two.
Since the most well-known Muppet character is a frog, references to the story are often made in various Muppet productions. The most substantial was the production of the story with the Tales From Muppetland special, The Frog Prince.
- In Pure Goldie, Goldie Hawn tries kissing Kermit to turn him into a prince. She instead turns into a Muppet version of herself.
- On the November 16, 1975 Cher show, Kermit tells Chastity Bono that sometimes kissing a frog would turn him into a handsome prince. "Didn't happen that time," he says.
- In a Sesame Street News Flash sketch, a princess picks reporter Kermit as her prince, hoping a kiss will turn him into one. She instead turns into the frog and the two head off to the "hop."
- While singing "At Your Library" dressed as a princess, Olivia kisses a frog, and shrugs when nothing happens.
- During "Be a Frog" in episode 406 of The Muppet Show, Robin sings a lyric acknowledging how the story grants himself (and the frogs) enough fame to kiss princesses.
- During an appearance on Can We Talk?, Joan Rivers asks Kermit if she kissed him, would he turn into a prince. Kermit replies, "We could try it... I wouldn't put any money on it. But it's the sort of thing people try. It may happen some time."
- Princess Lulabelle kisses a frog in the Mopatop's Shop episode "Princess Lulabelle" and he turns into a prince... the same frog, but with a crown and cape.
- In a 2003 sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live, Kermit meets Christina Cindrich in a bar, beats up her boyfriend, and takes her back to his pad where they kiss. The kiss turns him into JKL security guard Uncle Frank.
- In a season 39 episode of Sesame Street, Abby is read the story by Chris, which inspires her to turn Oscar into a prince with a kiss.
- A season 42 episode of Sesame Street is based around the story, where a princess desperately tries kissing a frog to make him a prince.
- Teri Garr played the Princess in the Faerie Tale Theatre episode "The Tale of the Frog Prince" (1982) and also in the Once Upon a Brothers Grimm segment of "The Frog Prince" (1977)
- Eli Gorenstein played the cook in The Frog Prince (1986 film)
- Helen Hunt played Henrietta in The Frog Prince (1986 film)
- Van Dyke Parks played a musician in the Faerie Tale Theatre episode "The Tale of the Frog Prince" (1982)
- Clive Revill played the king in The Frog Prince (1986 film)
- Michael Richards played King Geoffrey in the Faerie Tale Theatre episode "The Tale of the Frog Prince" (1982)
- Robin Williams played the Frog Prince in the Faerie Tale Theatre episode "The Tale of the Frog Prince" (1982)