Telling Stories with Tomie dePaola is a Henson Company television show that aired on Hallmark Channel from August to October 2001. The show featured children's book author Tomie dePaola, with his Muppet squirrel friend Gabe. During each episode, Tomie would tell a story featuring his storybook characters -- Strega Nona, Big Anthony and Bambolona.
- Gabe is a mischievous squirrel who is Tomie dePaola's friend, confidant and muse. The squirrel puppet was later recycled for Skippy on Bear in the Big Blue House, and reappeared even later on Puppet Up! - Uncensored.
- The Animal Band is a musical group of woodland animals -- a rabbit on drums, a weasel on guitar, a raccoon on keytar -- plus a penguin on bass. Gabe visits the band in each episode.
- Strega Nona is an elderly village lady who always wants to help her friends, Big Anthony and Bambolona.
- The Goat appeared in the Strega Nona stories. Bambolona does not like the goat, and claims that it doesn't really help at all, but the goat is usually shown to have more intelligence than most of the characters. The puppet was built by James Wojtal, working under the supervision of Rollie Krewson. The character of "Goat" was based on the designs from DePola’s illustrated "Strega Nona" books. The design featured a departure from the traditional Muppet-look, as the goal was to match the water color illustrations found in the book. The puppet was recycled in Puppet Up! and pops up again in The Simian Undercover Detective Squad.
- Tomie dePaola as himself
- Bill Barretta as Strega Nona
- John Kennedy as Gabe
- Julianne Buescher as Bambolona and Weasel in the Animal Band
- Alison Mork
- ToughPigs - My Week with Tomie dePaola