A tax is a financial charge or levy imposed upon taxpayers by the state or higher authority. Tax money is often used to fund public goods and services, such as the fire and postal services (both of which consist of the people in your neighborhood).
- The Boston Tea Party, a protest against taxation, has been referenced a number of time in Muppet productions. In one Wilkins Coffee ad, Wontkins (with a feathered headband) commands the tea to be dropped in the Boston harbor; a stuffy, Englishman (Wilkins) believed serving Wilkins Tea instead would've prevented the protest. Years later, a Sesame Street News Flash covered the events of the party, where the tax issue is directly stated, only the misinformed colonists throw their T-word items into the harbor instead.
- Income tax was the subject of a segment of The Jimmy Dean Show on April 9, 1964. Rowlf the Dog bemoans having to file his tax return, despite having to owe one mere dollar.
- In episode 516 of The Muppet Show, the roof to The Muppet Theatre is removed for repairs. As Veterinarian's Hospital begins, Dr. Bob is pleased - no roof means no overhead. He then tells Nurse Piggy that in case of showers, they can head for the nearest tax shelter.
- As Gobo Fraggle sings "Catch the Tail by the Tiger" in the Fraggle Rock episode of the same name, he mentions various dangers of the world, including taxes.
- Once the Merrill Lunch Hungerdunger McCormack All Accountant Marching Society signs on for the Jim Henson tribute in The Muppets Celebrate Jim Henson, their portion of the production number includes dancing with a giant 1040 form (the typical income tax form).
- Fozzie Bear is shown going through a tax audit in a sketch for Good Morning America on April 19, 1992 (one day before the annual deadline to file one's income tax forms). His auditor is baffled by his unusual deductions (for items such as rubber chickens and cream pies). When Fozzie asks simply what he owes, the auditor launches into a performance of "Money" and cleans Fozzie out of every dollar he has.
- The topic of taxes is the focal discussion point of the premiere of "The Eagle's Nest" on Muppets Tonight (in episode 103).