Sweden is a European country and is the largest of the Nordic countries. Sweden is the first country most people think of when Scandinavia is mentioned. Sweden borders Norway in the west, and Finland in the northeast.
In 1976, Sveriges Television showed a dubbed version of Sesame Street called Sesam. In 1981, Sweden got its own, short lived, co-production of Sesame Street, called Svenska Sesam. One special thing about the show that differed from other Sesame Street co-productions was that all the local-produced segments did not contain any puppets.
- The Swedish Chef celebrates the fact that Victor Borge is the guest on The Muppet Show Episode 405 but stops when Kermit tells him that Victor Borge is Danish and not Swedish.
- An indirect reference was made in The Muppet Show Episode 524 where Kermit introduced the Viking number In the Navy, calling the Vikings "cruel, heartless Scandinavian marauders" and "worst human beings in history" (and is physically chastised by the Swedish Chef as a result).
- In Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree, Miss Adelaide teaches Mr. Willowby about the Swedish Lucia tradition.
Only productions aimed at young children are dubbed in Sweden. The Muppet Show, Dinosaurs, and other Henson productions aimed more specifically at adult viewers have never been dubbed, but instead have been shown with Swedish subtitles.
Dubs of Muppet/Henson productions include the following:
- Bert och Ernie på äventyr (Bert and Ernie's Great Adventures)
- Dog City (Sweden) (Dog City)
- Elmo På Äventyr i Grouchland (Elmo in Grouchland)
- Fem Barn Och Ett Sandtroll (Five Children and It)
- Fragglarna (Fraggle Rock)
- Leksakernas Hemliga Liv (The Secret Life of Toys)
- Mupparna I Rymden (Muppets from Space)
- Mupparnas Julsaga (The Muppet Christmas Carol)
- Nalle har ett Stort Blått Hus (Bear in the Big Blue House)