In the earliest episodes of the show, Susan was a housewife. By Season 2, she became a public health nurse, so that the character might serve as a better role model for young girls in the viewing audience. Among her projects was offering a Measles Vaccination Clinic in Episode 0343.
She also headlined her own album, Susan Sings Songs from Sesame Street, and had minor roles in both Sesame Street movies. Although she is still a regular on the show, since season 29 she has been appearing in only a few episodes per season, in part because fewer shows are produced now. She only appeared in 1-2 episodes during the 39th and 40th seasons, and appeared in four episodes during Season 42.
During the early seasons, she often sang "One of These Things."
Appearances in Specials
- Christmas Eve on Sesame Street
- Don't Eat the Pictures: Sesame Street at the Metropolitan Museum of Art
- Sesame Street Special
- Sesame Street: 20 and Still Counting
- Big Bird's Birthday or Let Me Eat Cake
- The Street We Live On
Appearances in Direct-to-Video Productions
- Bedtime Stories and Songs
- Sing Along
- Big Bird's Favorite Party Games
- Sesame Street Visits the Hospital
- Sesame Street's 25th Birthday: A Musical Celebration
- What's the Name of That Song?
- Big Bird's Blunder Book (1971)
- I am a Monster (1976) 
- The Sesame Street Block Party Coloring Book (1977)
- The Count Counts a Party (1981)
- Everyone Makes Mistakes (1983)
- I'll Miss You, Mr. Hooper (1984)
- Susan and Gordon Adopt a Baby
- It's Not Fair! (1986)
- Grover's Bad Dream (1990)