Smokey Bear is a mascot of the United States Forest Service created in 1944 by The Ad Council to educate the public on the dangers of forest and wild fires, and the preservation of those lands. The advertising icon was ranked 47th in Animal Planet's 50 Greatest TV Animals.
- Fozzie Bear is mistaken by a tourist for Smokey during an interview with Dick Van Dyke in front of the Grauman's Chinese Theatre when he makes an attempt to iconize himself in The Muppets Go Hollywood.
- When Fozzie's hands catch on fire in Rocky Mountain Holiday, Kermit comments that he's a regular Smokey the Bear.
- Smoggy the Bear tried out for the part, but didn't get it.
- In Muppets Tonight episode 103, when Sal Minella first meets Bobo the Bear, he addresses him as "Smokey the Butthead."
- On Twitter, Fozzie Bear was asked by The Muppet Mindset who his idols are. Fozzie replied, "Tons!! @SteveMartinToGo, @chrisrock, @JerrySeinfeld, and Smokey the Bear! He’s the reason I wear a hat."