Sinterklaas in Sesamstraat is the title of special holiday episodes of Sesamstraat about Sinterklaas visiting the street accompanied by his good friends, the Zwarte Pieten (Black Petes), annually broadcast on 5 December. It was the idea of Aart Staartjes, actor, contributing editor and one of the directors of Sesamstraat to create these episodes.
The 1988 special aired again as a rerun in 1989 when at the last minute, the tape of that year's special turned out to be missing. Since then, special care was taken in protecting - and copying - the specials.
The annual specials were cut due to budgetary reasons in 2005, but there are four episodes broadcasted on 1, 2, 3, and 4 December, and a compilation on 5 December. In 2010, there were eighteen special Sint episodes televised in the weeks before the compilation episode.
A new Sinterklaas episode was planned for 5 December 2011, but was cancelled at the last minute due to a live policital broadcast.
- 1987. Various things happen as Sinterklaas visits the street for the first time. Tommie, Ieniemienie and Pino argue over a toy brochure, Aart shows Sinterklaas all the shoes that he got disappointing presents in, Gerda takes a moment to explain that black people don't like to be referred to as one of Sinterklaas' helpers, and the gang is afraid that Sinterklaas has hurt himself.
- 1988 and 1989. Granny wants to come along with Sinterklaas to Spain
- 1990. Tommie, Pino and Ieniemienie give away their old toys and pretend to be poor children
- 1991. Tommie and Ieniemienie solve the mystery of a lost sack.
- 1992. Tommie, Ieniemienie and Pino run away as Nephew Rik almost ruins the party.
- 1993. Sinterklaas is ill.
- 1994. Zwarte Piet falls of the roof and hurts his ankle.
- 1995. Sinterklaas is lost after he fell from his horse.
- 1996. Meneer Aart buys all chocolate letters from Sinterklaas and is afraid he'll be angry.
- 1997. Pino runs away after Aart makes a joke about him
- 1998. Hoofdpiet lost his plush toy and is very tired.
- 1999. Sinterklaas is invited for a romantic diner with a charming lady in question.
- 2000. Elvan is a new Piet for Sinterklaas.
- 2001. A lot of strange shoes appear in Sesamstraat.
- 2002. Hoofdpiet wrapped up the mitre of Sinterklaas.
- 2003. There is no present for the new kid Purk.
- 2004. Ieniemienie solves the mystery of a strange letter to Sinterklaas
- 2005. The house of Sinterklaas is deconstructed, so he stays in Sesamstraat. (loose clips)
- 2006. Sinterklaas lost his book; it's hidden in Sesamstraat. (loose clips)
- 2007. (unknown)
- 2008. (unknown)
- 2009. (unknown)
- 2010. (several)
- 2011. Nobody knows where Sinterklaas is, not even his pieten.
- Sinterklaas - Bram van der Vlugt (1987-2010)
- Hoofdpiet - Frits Lambrechts (1987-1990, 1992-1993), Erik de Vogel (1994-1995, 1997), Erik van Muiswinkel (2006-present)
- Wegwijspiet - Michel Kerbosch (1987-2005)
- Sorrypiet - Marc-Marie Huijbregts (2007)
- Wellespiet - Dick van den Toorn (2008-present)
- Balonnenpiet - Peter Lusse (2010)
- Sien - Sien Diels (1987-present)
- Frank - Frank Groothof (1987-present)
- Paula - Paula Sleyp (1987-2008)
- Lex - Lex Goudsmit (1987-1999)
- Meneer Aart - Aart Staartjes (1987-present)
- Gerda/Peetje - Gerda Havertong (1987-present)
- Hakim - Hakim Traïdia (1987-present)
- Lot - Lot Lohr (1988-present)
- Rik - Rik Hoogendoorn (1992-2006)
- Elvan - Elvan Akyildiz (1997-present)
- Buurman Baasje - Martin van Waardenberg (2002-present)
- Arjan - Arjan Smit (2008-present)
- Mamoun - Mamoun Elyounoussi (20??-present)
- Tommie - Bert Plagman (1987-present)
- Ieniemienie - Catherine van Woerden (1987-present)
- Pino - Leo Dijkgraaf (1987-1990), Renée Menschaar (1991-present)
- Purk - Judith Broersen (2003-present)