Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Shelley Duvall's Tall Tales & Legends series was an anthology series produced by Shelley Duvall for Showtime as a follow-up to her Faerie Tale Theatre series. The program, consisting of nine shows, aired sporadically from 1985 through 1988 (often rotating with the concurrent Faerie Tale series) and featured whimsical adaptations of American historical figures, folktales, and early literature like The Legend of Sleepy Hollow.
Duvall was interviewed in Muppet Magazine issue 15 in 1986, discussing both shows and surrounded by Muppet characters in character. Fozzie Bear appeared as Johnny Appleseed, Gonzo as Pecos Bill, and Rowlf as Casey at the Bat, all characters spotlighted on Tall Tales & Legends.
In the Tall Tales & Legends episode "Davy Crockett," contemporary student Ben is transported through a book into Crockett's life. After Crockett prevents Ben from shooting a raccoon, the critter talks, prompting the remark, "Hey, they've got Muppets in Tennessee!"
- Edward Asner played Lucky Jake in "Darlin' Clementine"
- Adam Carl played Ben in "Davy Crockett"
- Ry Cooder composed the music for "Annie Oakley"
- Mac Davis played Davy Crockett in "Davy Crockett"
- Charles Durning played Doffue Van Tassell in "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow"
- Shelley Duvall created, produced and hosted the series, narrated "Annie Oakley," and played Clementine in "Darlin' Clementine"
- Danny Glover played John Henry in "John Henry"
- Elliott Gould played Casey in "Casey at the Bat"
- Carol Kane played Barbara in "Casey at the Bat"
- Sally Kellerman played Lucy in "Ponce de Leon and the Search for the Fountain of Youth"
- John Matuszak played the mountain man in "Darlin' Clementine"
- Michael McKean played Mac Macintosh in "Johnny Appleseed" and Mr. Wallace in "Davy Crockett"
- Randy Newman narrated and scored "Darlin' Clementine"
- Van Dyke Parks composed the primary or background score for various episodes
- Lou Rawls played Jim Wallace in "John Henry"
- Michael Richards played Sneaky Pete in "Darlin' Clementine"
- Richard Schaal played Bob Watkins in "Pecos Bill"
- Martin Short played Johnny Appleseed in "Johnny Appleseed"