Sesame Street General Store was a chain of stores operating in the 1990s which specialized in Sesame Street merchandise (although merchandise of other Henson, Children's Television Workshop and PBS properties could also be found in the stores). The Sesame Street store have play spaces to emphasize educational elements. Play spaces include a wall where kids can draw, Big Bird's Learning and Listening Library, a garage/clubhouse to play, and a stage of the Sesame Street theater to perform. Many of the storefronts were modeled after the Hooper's Store set.
Replicas of Oscar's trash can were also outside some stores, with a lifesize animatronic Oscar the Grouch created by VEE Production Services. When Oscar was inside the can, he would say one of several pre-recorded phrases:
- "I'm getting my bathroom re-mildewed today, and I don't want you getting in the way... so SCRAM! Heh, heh, heh."
- "Let's play a spelling game... G, O, A, W, A, Y. Do you know what that spells? GO AWAY!"
- "Hey, why are you staring at my trash can? How would you feel if I stared at you? Heh, heh, heh."
- "I've got nothing to say, so I'm not going to talk when I come out. So you might as well just get lost... SCRAM!"
After saying his phrase, Oscar would pop out of the can to smile and grimace at guests for a few seconds.
Today, many of the animatronic Oscars still survive. Most are owned by private collectors and have shown up on EBay. Another animatronic Oscar resides at the FAO Schwarz store in Las Vegas and New York City. But there was also a version displayed on a Dutch exhibition.
- ↑ "RETAIL: A Famous Grouch Is Coming Soon to a Store Near You", Marian Bond, Playthings. October, 1992.
- ↑ "Sesame Street Latest Kids' Store on Block : Retailing: The likes of Bert and Ernie, Big Bird and the Cookie Monster will test their merchandising strength against Disney and Hanna-Barbera outlets.", Marian Bond, Playthings. October, 1992.