|Season premiere||November 13, 1989|
|Season finale||May 11, 1990|
|No. of episodes||130|
The curriculum for Season 21 focuses on environmentalism and is "to teach appreciation of nature." Viewers will also become familiar with recycling from two types of collections - curb service and a recycling center. Sesame Street will also increase teaching numbers from 1 to 40 instead of the original 1 to 10.
Season 21 welcomes new human characters to the cast. Hooper's Store got a new owner, Mr. Handford, played by Leonard Jackson in this season and David L. Smyrl in subsequent seasons. Another human character, Mike, also appeared as a part-time worker at the Fix-It Shop and one of Gordon's students at school.
Episodes 2616 - 2745 (130 episodes)
- Episode 2616 -- Preston Rabbit comes to Sesame Street
- Episode 2617
- Episode 2618
- Episode 2619 -- Nighttime on Sesame Street
- Episode 2620 -- Mr. Handford tries to take a nap.
- Episode 2621 -- A baby book for Alice
- Episode 2622 -- Shelley is afraid of Barkley.
- Episode 2623
- Episode 2624 -- Big Bird tells a joke
- Episode 2625
- Episode 2626 -- Telly is curious about Gabi's baby talk.
- Episode 2627 -- Susan goes away to the country.
- Episode 2628
- Episode 2630 -- Irvine has the grouch flu
- Episode 2636 -- Maria and Linda imagine with Gabi
- Episode 2637 -- Elmo sleeps over at Gina's.
- Episode 2638
- Episode 2639 -- Snuffy shows his friends his cave
- Episode 2640 -- Did Gabi say "Oscar"?
- Episode 2641 -- Luis finds a use for a pile of sand
- Episode 2642 -- Maria and Luis finds a babysitter
- Episode 2643
- Episode 2644
- Episode 2645 -- Ruby tries to tell what things were.
- Episode 2648 -- Bob accompanies Oscar to Grouchytown
- Episode 2649
- Episode 2660
- Episode 2675 -- Big Bird and Snuffy play games/Elmo sleeps over (repeat)
- Episode 2679 -- Big Bird listens (repeat)
- Episode 2681
- Episode 2682 -- Linda gets a closed-captioning decoder
- Episode 2686
- Episode 2687 -- The Golden Cabbage of Snuffertiti
- Episode 2689 -- Fire at Susan and Gordon's Part 1
- Episode 2690 -- Fire at Susan and Gordon's Part 2
- Episode 2691 -- Telly and the Wedge of Cheese
- Episode 2702
- Episode 2710
- Episode 2714 -- A day with Flo Bear
- Episode 2720
- Episode 2727 -- A day at the library
- Episode 2731
- Episode 2734 -- Elmo in Numberland
- This was Jim Henson's final season. The 21st season finale aired on Friday, May 11, 1990, five days before Henson passed away. Jim Henson, however, continued to be credited on the show until 2001, when Season 32 ended.
- Alice Snuffleupagus, Anything Muppets, Barkley, Bert, Biff, Big Bird, Big Jeffy, Buster the Horse, Cookie Monster, Count von Count, Dingers, Elmo, Ernie, Flo Bear, Forgetful Jones, Gladys the Cow, Grover, Grundgetta, Guy Smiley, Herry Monster, Honkers, Hoots the Owl, Irvine, Kermit the Frog, Little Chrissy and the Alphabeats, Meryl Sheep, Oscar the Grouch, Preston Rabbit, Professor D. Rabbit, Ruby, Mr. Snuffleupagus, Shelley the Turtle, Sherlock Hemlock, Stella, Sully, Telly Monster, Two-Headed Monster, Vincent Twice, Watson, Wolfgang the Seal
- Gordon, Susan, Maria, Luis, Linda, Bob, Mr. Handford, Uncle Wally, Gina, Miles, Mr. Macintosh, Gabi, Lisa, Hiroshi, Mike
- Alison Bartlett-O'Reilly, Lisa Boggs, Linda Bove, Emilio Delgado, Leonard Jackson, Loretta Long, Sonia Manzano, Bill McCutcheon, Bob McGrath, Roscoe Orman, Miles Orman, Ward Saxton, Gedde Watanabe
- Caroll Spinney, Pam Arciero, Camille Bonora, Kevin Clash, Fred "Garbo" Garver, Jim Henson, Richard Hunt, Rick Lyon, Jim Martin, Jerry Nelson, Frank Oz, Martin P. Robinson, David Rudman, Judy Sladky, and Bryant Young
- Candice Bergen, Barbara Bush, Tracy Chapman, Danny Glover, Jeff Goldblum, Andrea Martin, Max Roach, Isaac Stern, Randy Travis, Denzel Washington
Season 21 Credits
- Executive Producer: Dulcy Singer
- Producer: Lisa Simon
- Director: Jon Stone
- Head Writer: Norman Stiles
- Writers: Nancy Sans, Luis Santeiro, Cathi Rosenberg-Turow, Belinda Ward, Sonia Manzano, Jeff Moss, Sara Compton, Judy Freudberg, David Korr, John Weidman, Tony Geiss, Emily Perl Kingsley, Mark Saltzman, Josh Selig, Jon Stone
- Supervising Film Producer: Edith Zornow
- Coordinating Producer: Arlene Sherman
- Muppets, Costumes, Props: Kermit Love, Caroly Wilcox, Connie Peterson, Peter MacKennan, Stephen Rotondaro, Mark Zeszotek, Richard Termine
- Music Director: Dave Conner
- Music Coordinator: Danny Epstein
- Production Supervisor: Frieda Lipp
- Editing Supervisor: Robert J. Emerick
- Associate Directors: Ted May, Eulogio Ortiz, Jr.
- Production Designer: Victor Di Napoli
- Costume Designer: Bill Kellard
- Graphic Artist: Mike Pantuso
- Set Decorator: Nat Mongioi
- Production Stage Manager: Chet O'Brien
- Stage Manager: Mortimer J. O'Brien
- Curriculum Coordinator: Diane P. Mitchell
- Production Assistants: Cheryl Ann Jung, Ruthie E. Hiatt, Paul Lacy
- Assistants to the Producers: Danette De Sena, Carol D. Mayes
- Script Coordinator: Thelma Moses
- Children's Casting: Martha O'Connor, Gabrielle Howard
- Unit Manager: Eleanor McIntosh
- Technical Director: Ralph Mensch
- Lighting Directors: Bill Berner, Jim Tetlow
- Sound Effects: Dick Maitland
- Audio: Blake Norton, Tim Lester
- Cameras: Frank Biondo, Dave Driscoll
- Videotape Editor: Evamarie Keller
- Make-Up: Lee Halls
- Hair Stylist: Karen Specht
- Wardrobe: Grisha Mynova
- Vice President for Research: Keith W. Mielke, Ph.D.
- Director of Research: Valeria Lovelace, Ph.D.
- Curriculum Specialist: Margarita Perez
- Chairman, Board of Advisors: Gerald S. Lesser, Ph.D.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Reading Eagles: TV Times: "Sesame Street is returning for its 21st Season".
|Previous season:||Next season:|
|Season 20 (1988-1989)||Season 22 (1990-1991)|