In the special, John and the Muppets go on a summer camping trip to the Rocky Mountains. As they hike, Denver and the Muppets enjoy the Colorado scenery and mountain wildlife, share stories, sing songs, and reminisce about their fun experiences and misadventures on past camping trips.
The Special starts with John Denver parking the van, singing "Hey Old Pal".
Although Miss Piggy was unable to join the others for the trip, she appears in clips of past expeditions: in one, her bizarre arrival in the mountains with an orchestra and entourage prompts the Muppets to sing a humorous rendition of "She'll Be Coming 'Round the Mountain." In another, she and Denver ride on horseback and sing "Tumbling Tumbleweeds" and "Happy Trails."
Kermit and the other Muppets set up camp beside a lake with a view of the Rockies while Denver and Floyd Pepper go fishing and sing a duet rendition of "Gone Fishin'," with Muppet musician Zoot on sax. Robin the Frog, who feels discouraged because he's too small to help out, develops a special friendship with Denver, after Denver sings "Catch Another Butterfly". Meanwhile, Statler and Waldorf keep their distance from the campers and spy on them through binoculars.
As twilight approaches, the group gathers around the campfire for a sing-along, featuring the old standards "Home on the Range" and "Down by the Old Mill Stream," and Denver entertains the others with a story about a giant man-eating chicken, and singing "Grandma's Feather Bed" with Kermit.
- Kermit the Frog, Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear, Gonzo, Robin the Frog, Scooter, Floyd Pepper, Janice, Animal, Zoot, Rizzo, Rowlf the Dog, Camilla, Slim Wilson, Zeke, Bubba, Gramps, Lubbock Lou, Lou, The Giant Man-Eating Chicken, Billy the Bear
- Executive Producer: Jerry Weintraub
- Producers: Jim Henson and John Denver
- Director: Jim Henson
- Writers: Jon Stone and Joseph A. Bailey
- Muppet Performers: Jim Henson, Frank Oz, Jerry Nelson, Dave Goelz, Richard Hunt, Steve Whitmire, Karen Prell, Kathryn Mullen
- Music Consultant: Ray Charles