Rocky is a 1976 film starring Sylvester Stallone as Rocky Balboa, an amateur boxer who unexpectedly has a chance to compete in the world heavyweight championship. The movie spawned five sequels: Rocky II, III, IV, V and Rocky Balboa.
- The Winter 1986 issue of Muppet Magazine featured a comic spoof titled Wocky XVICCDLCVI... Gonzo appeared in the Clubber Lang role from Rocky III.
- In his book Before You Leap, Kermit says the original title for The Great Muppet Caper was "The Muppet Movie II," but Roman numerals were in short supply because of the Rocky movies.
- An upcoming season 43 episode of Sesame Street features Telly training Elmo to be the Hot Potato Winner in a montage spoofing that of the Rocky films, putting Telly and Elmo in Mickey and Rocky's roles (and outfits) respectively.
- During Rocky II (1979), Rocky mentions his plans for his earnings:
|“||I'd like to buy a couple hats, a motorcycle, a couple quarts of perfume for Adrian she likes to smell good. And some Muppet toys you know, Ernie, Big Bird. And the frog what's his name? Kermit?||”|
- During a montage in the beginning of Rocky III (1982), The Muppet Show can be seen and heard on a television. Jim Henson recorded a special Muppet Show intro as Kermit announcing that the episode featured Rocky Balboa, the title character of the film. Footage from Sylvester Stallone's 1978 episode of The Muppet Show was used and passed off as that of Rocky Balboa.