|Written by||Richard Wagner|
|Source||Die Walküre (opera)|
"Ride of the Valkyries" is a song by Richard Wagner from his opera Die Walküre. Although it was originally written with lyrics, the song has been used as an instrumental in popular culture, and is often associated with Brünnhilde, and her sterotypical opera costume.
- Sweetums sings the lyrics, while holding standard Wagnerian weaponry, to a reluctant John Cleese in The Muppet Show episode 223.
- Robin delivers a singing telegram to the tune in Muppets Studios Presents: You're the Director.
- A group of chickens cluck the tune in episode 106 of Muppets Tonight.
- Whoopi Goldberg plays the music by rubbing her fingers on crystal glasses filled with water in episode 109 of Muppets Tonight.
- The Flying Monkeys in The Muppets' Wizard of Oz sing the tune as they leave The Wicked Witch of the West's castle to capture the film's heroes.
- Leonard Birdseed leads the Birdapest Symphony Orchestra in performing the song in the album Elmo and the Orchestra.
- Another instrumental version is used for a film segment in Happy Healthy Monsters showing athletes performing a number of feats.
- Miss Piggy's appearance at the "Fireworks Finale" at the Hollywood Bowl in 2006 featured an excerpt from the song, with Piggy in full Brünnhilde attire.
- A 1980 Milton Bradley puzzle depicts Miss Piggy performing as a Valkyrie spoofing a scene from the opera.
- Another one from the line shows her in the same costume, backstage.