Queen Elizabeth II (b. 1926), full name Elizabeth Alexandra Mary, is the Queen of England (and the United Kingdom as a whole and fourteen other states/territories) and has reigned since 1952. While the President of the United States lives in the White House, her Majesty lives primarily in Buckingham Palace.
Her Majesty takes an active interest in affairs of state, but more often avoids politics and takes a primarily ceremonial role. One example is her attendance at the Royal Variety Performance. At the conclusion of the 1977 performance, she personally congratulated Jim Henson and his puppeteers.
When talking of Princess Diana's relationship to Queen Elizabeth II, the Daily Mail columnist Lynda Lee-Potter wrote,
|“||Diana is possibly the only member of the royal family who doesn't kowtow the instant she is fixed with one of the Queen's terrifying Miss Piggy looks.||”|
- In the seventh season Muppet Babies episode "Happy Birthday, Uncle Piggy," Baby Piggy's fantasy party plans for Uncle Statler include heads of state as guests. A cut-out of Queen Elizabeth appears (voiced by Frank Welker) to add her congratulations.
- The Muppet Babies episode "Remote Control Cornballs" features footage of the Queen and Prince Phllip, who can be seen while the Babies flip channels.
- In Muppets Tonight episode 103, Her Majesty (played by an uncredited impersonator) appears as part of The Billy Crystal Band with fellow lookalikes Ronald Reagan, Bill Clinton, Clint Eastwood, and Boris Yeltsin. She uses her feminine charms on Bobo in order to gain admission into the studio, but the bear is appalled by her flirtation and sends her to the back of the line.
- In the Sesame Street storybook I Want to Be President, Betty Lou imagines herself as President of the United States and meeting dignitaries such as the Queen.
- As part of a United Kingdom promotion for The Muppets premiere, Kermit answered questions for an Ask Kermit section on Twitter. When asked what his career highlight has so far been, he answered, "We’ve worked with all kinds of big stars but one of my all time favourites was when I met the Queen" A altered photo of Kermit meeting the queen sits on Kermit's desk in the film.
- By coincidence, the Queen Elizabeth II was the name of an ocean liner used on multiple occasions by Jim Henson and other Muppeteers when crossing to and from England.