Peter Alexander präsentiert Spezialitäten (Peter Alexander presents Specialties) was a popular German variety show that ran from 1969 until 1978 on German, Swiss, and Austrian TV. As the title suggests, the show was hosted by Austrian entertainer Peter Alexander.
The Muppets made several special guest appearances:
- Peter Alexander präsentiert Spezialitäten #10: This special anniversary show aired as a Christmas special on November 27, 1975 on ZDF. Peter visited the US set of Sesame Street. He danced with Big Bird, and sang with Kermit (who shortly appeared "naked," without his trademark collar just like in Sam and Friends), Ernie dressed in Bavarian lederhosen, Bert dressed as Santa Claus, and Cookie Monster. Alexander also met up with Oscar the Grouch. The characters were performed by Caroll Spinney (Big Bird and Oscar), Jim Henson (Kermit), Jerry Nelson (Ernie), Richard Hunt (Bert) and Frank Oz (Cookie Monster). The voices were later dubbed for German audiences. The show ranked #1 in 1975, with 38 million viewers in Germany alone (not counting Swiss and Austrian audiences). The special was taped on October 27 and 28, 1975 at Channel 5.
- Peter Alexander präsentiert Spezialitäten #11: This show aired December 1st, 1977 on ZDF, the network that first aired Die Muppet Show. Peter visited the set of The Muppet Show, and met Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear, The Swedish Chef and Mahna Mahna. In one skit, he attempts to cook with the Chef, yet fails miserably. The characters were performed by the original Muppeteers, and later dubbed for German audiences.
Alive - Vertrieb und Marketing/DVD released Peter Alexander: Die Spezialitäten Show - Komplettbox, a 7 DVD boxed set with both specials.
- Peter Alexander's official site
- First part of the Sesame appearance from show #10 (German)
- Second part of the Sesame appearance from show #10 (German)
- First part of the Muppet appearance from show #11 (German)
- Second part of the Muppet appearance from show #11 (German)