Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Pablo Picasso (1881-1973) was a Spanish painter. Commonly known simply as Picasso, he is one of the most recognized figures in 20th-century art. He is best known for co-founding the Cubist movement and for the wide variety of styles embodied in his work. Among his most famous works are the proto-Cubist Les Demoiselles d'Avignon (1907) and Guernica (1937), his portrayal of the German bombing of Guernica during the Spanish Civil War.
- His painting, "Girl Before a Mirror", was spoofed in 1984's Miss Piggy's Art Masterpiece Calendar, as "Pig Before a Mirror". The same image was subsequently used in the 1993 Muppet Trading Cards set, and in the Miss Piggy's Art Treasures collection of Muppet postcards. The reverse side of the postcard provides the following "information:"
Deck Enamel on denim. 19?2.Purchased from Mr. Chico Picasso, the artist's brother, from the collection in the restaurant, "La Fonda del Food." Signed "Pablo Picasso." Also signed "Joe DiMaggio." Inscribed by the artist "From Pablo to my little gazpacho, Miss Piggy, olé, baby!" ”
- In episode 3655 of Sesame Street, Big Bird and Baby Bear visit the Museum of Modern Art, and look at one of Picasso's sculptures "Baboon and Young".
- The painter is parodied with the Plaza Sésamo character Pablo Bigotasso, and the Sesame Street "Here is Your Life" sketch used his name as the inspiration for Pablo Paint Palette.
- In an animated Sesame Street insert, "Bust Of A Woman With A Hat" is slowly revealed to the audience in a black and white version, before eventually gaining its colors. (EKA: Episode 3427)
- In another animated Sesame Street insert, "Portrait of Marie-Thérèse" is altered with a child sitting on her lap. (EKA: Episode 3524)
- A third Sesame Street cartoon features two characters with Picasso-esque designs commenting on a painting of a normal, human girl.
- Yet another Sesame Street cartoon features the painting Three Musicians, where the instrumentalists learn to cooperate to play music. (EKA: Episode 3460)
- In Elmo's version of "Right in the Middle of My Face", Girl Before a Mirror is shown during the "nose" verse.
- In the Muppet Babies episode "The Muppet Museum of Art" Baby Kermit and Baby Scooter morph into a style reminiscent of Picasso paintings.
- As a reference within a reference, Joe Mathieu spoofed Norman Rockwell's "Triple Self Portrait" with Grover taking the place of the famed painter. And taking the place of the Picasso self-portrait Rockwell included on the easel, is Bert in place of Picasso.
- A spoof of "Girl Before a Mirror" featuring Kermit the Forg is featured in the Museum of Modern Cookie in The Cookie Thief. It is said to be painted by Pablo PiCookie.