The Outside Lands Music and Arts Festival is a music festival held annually in San Francisco, California, at Golden Gate Park. The first festival occurred in 2008, and included over 60 musical acts from around the world, as well as several art installations.
Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem appeared at the Outside Lands in 2016 during the festival which ran from August 5th to August 7th. The band's appearance took place on August 7th at 4PM PT and lasted roughly 24 minutes. Other featured artists include Radiohead, Lionel Richie, Duran Duran, Third Eye Blind, and Sufjan Stevens.
The concert was live-streamed on the Outside Lands website as well as through the go90 app. After the concert, Animal and Floyd appeared once more in a roughly 10-minute interview section between Kehlani's and Chance The Rapper's performances.
- Video: "San Francisco" Intro (featuring "San Francisco (Be Sure to Wear Flowers in Your Hair)" by Scott McKenzie)
- "Can You Picture That?"
- "San Francisco" (by The Mowgli's)
- Video: San Fran Dash Cam
- "Home" (by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros)
- "Ophelia" (by The Band)
- Video: We First Met ...
- "With a Little Help from My Friends" (by The Beatles, w/ Oakland's Interfaith Gospel Choir)
Behind the scenes
The idea for the Mayhem's performance was initially pitched to Kyle Laughlin by a friend working for the festival. To help the Muppet performers (clad in black during the entire performance) sustain their arms in the air, a special harness was devised for the show.
Soapbox Films was heavily involved in the production of the performance, designing the set and producing taped and animated graphics to be played onscreen during the performance. Much of the footage produced for the video screens was repurposed, with slight modifications, for the Electric Mayhem's sets during The Muppets Take the Bowl and The Muppets Take the O2.
- according to the band's bio on the festival's website listing
“They’ve been called 'rock & roll legends,' 'hipster icons' and 'those painfully loud next door neighbors,' but Dr. Teeth and The Electric Mayhem think of themselves as simply a group of friends who are musicians and their only goal in life is to make audiences shake, rattle and groove.
The Mayhem, as they are known among Mayhem-heads, features: Dr. Teeth – Keyboardist and head groove master; absotively possolutely the founder and fearless leader of the band, Animal – Dynamic drummer and powerhouse percussionist, known for three styles of play: loud, louder and deafening, Janice – Lead guitarist, resident flower child and astral projectionist, Sgt. Floyd Pepper – Bass guitarist, Animal’s handler and connoisseur of cool, Zoot – Shade-wearing saxophonist who doesn’t say much and Lips – Trumpet virtuoso known for his jazzy brass and talking even less than Zoot.”
- When introducing "Ophelia," the band members list the names of the performer's wives, including Caren (Rudman), Kelly (Vogel), Debbie (Goelz), Melissa (Whitmire), Cristina (Barretta) and Mary (Jacobson).
- ↑ @KirkThatcher on Twitter
- ↑ Tough Pigs: Gonzo in San Francisco: Dave Goelz at the Walt Disney Family Museum, August 18, 2016.
- ↑ [Soapbox Films Sizzle Reel
- ↑ Facebook post from Bill Barretta.
- ↑ About The Muppets' Dr. Teeth and the Electic Mayhem