One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest began life as a 1962 novel by Ken Kesey, was adapted for the Broadway stage by Dale Wasserman in 1963, and became a feature length film in 1976. All three are set in an Oregon asylum, and the film won five Academy Awards.
- The film was spoofed in a Monsterpiece Theater segment on Sesame Street, where the Number 1 flew over a cuckoo's nest.
- A movie marquee displays the title of the film in a Sesame Street video segment of a father and daughter riding a bus around town. (EKA: Episode 0926)
- Danny DeVito played Martini in the film
- Anjelica Huston as an uncredited appearance in the film as an extra.
- Christopher Lloyd played Taber in the film
- Gene Wilder played Billy Bibbit in the original Broadway production