Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
On the Town is a 1949 movie musical, adapted from a 1944 Broadway stage musical, with music by Leonard Bernstein and book and lyrics by Betty Comden and Adolph Green. Comden and Green also played two of the leads in the original stage version.
The Muppets made a visual reference to the film in a Macy's Window Display in 2002. Fozzie Bear, Kermit the Frog, and Gonzo are dressed as sailors, assuming the roles played in the film by Gene Kelly, Frank Sinatra, and Jules Munshin.
The lyrics were spoofed in a window card which read, "New York! New York! A holiday town! The Bronx is up and the Battery's down! The people here are the greatest around! New York! New York! It's a holiday town!"
- Jonathan Freeman played Pitkin W. Bridgework in the Broadway revival
- Louise Gold played the depressing cabaret singers on the TER Studio Cast album
- Donna McKechnie played Ivy Smith in the 1971 Broadway revival
- Bernadette Peters played Hildy Esterhazy in the 1971 Broadway revival
- Nancy Walker originated Hildy Esterhazy in the 1944 Broadway version