|Produced by||Sony Wonder|
Sesame Street: Old School, Volume 1 is a 2006 three-disc DVD set collecting episodes and skits from the first five seasons of Sesame Street (1969-1974). Old School is marketed as a nostalgia set, aimed at teenagers and adults who remember the series from their childhood.
The three discs contain the season premieres of each of the first five seasons of the show (episodes 0001, 0131, 0276, 0406 and 0536), plus an additional 54 bonus sketches grouped by season. The total running time is over seven hours. A 16-page booklet is also included. The set contains four slight alterations to the episodes because of rights issues. In three of the cases, Sesame Workshop added replacement material in place of the cut material in order to compensate for them.
Each of the complete episodes is preceded by a newly produced animated segment in which a character named Bob begins to introduce the episode and is interrupted by an off-screen, elderly-sounding character telling him to stop talking and show the episode. Prior to the start of Episode 0001, the animated character reads a disclaimer for parents stating that "these early Sesame Street episodes are intended for grownups and may not suit the needs of today's preschool child".
- "Bein' Green" (First: Episode 0087)
- "Rubber Duckie" (First: Episode 0136)
- Counting with James Earl Jones (First: Episode 0005)
- "ABC-DEF-GHI" (First: Episode 0096)
- "I Love Trash"
- Alphabet with Jackie Robinson (First: Episode 0054)
- Batman Crosses the Street (First: Episode 0090)
- Swinging Gibbon (underscore by Joe Raposo) (First: Episode 0009)
- Big Bird Meets Little Bird (First: Episode 0028)
- Alphabet with Lou Rawls (First: Episode 0043)
- "I've Got Two" (EKA: Episode 0152)
- Alphabet Soup (First: Episode 0004) Sound effects added
- Season 1 Credit Crawl (First: Episode 0005)
- Sesame Street Pitch Reel (Version 2)
- Easter Eggs: original drawings and behind-the-scenes photos
- "C is for Cookie" (First: Episode 0372)
- "Ladybugs' Picnic" (EKA: Episode 0416)
- Martians Telephone (EKA: Episode 0598)
- Amazing Mumford Magic Trick (EKA: Episode 0712)
- "Alligator King" (EKA: Episode 0812)
- "J Friends" (EKA: Episode 0339)
- A Special Day with Bert and Ernie (EKA: Episode 0352)
- "I Am Somebody" with Jesse Jackson
- "Would You Like to Buy an O?" (EKA: Episode 0751)
- Harvey Kneeslapper with Mirror (EKA: Episode 0343)
- Breathing Song with Animals (EKA: Episode 0347)
- "I in the Sky" (EKA: Episode 0427)
- "My Favorite Letter P" (EKA: Episode 0348)
- "My Martian Beauty" (EKA: Episode 0424)
- Mad Painter #3 (EKA: Episode 0343)
- Season 3 Credit Crawl (First: Episode 0280)
- Sesame Street News Flash: Rapunzel (EKA: Episode 0692)
- A Loaf of Bread, a Container of Milk and a Stick of Butter (EKA: Episode 0420)
- Lost Paper Clips with Bert and John-John (EKA: Episode 0729)
- Witches Cooperate (EKA: Episode 0407)
- "The Song of the Count" (First: Episode 0507)
- Bert’s Bust (EKA: Episode 0677)
- First and Last with Beetle Bailey (EKA: Episode 0666)
- Season 4 Credit Crawl (First: Episode 0410)
- At the Movies with Ernie and Bert: The Lady with the Tall Hat (EKA: Episode 0677)
- "Nasty Dan" (with Johnny Cash) (EKA: Episode 1247)
- Prairie Dawn's Pageant about a flower (EKA: Episode 0666)
- Twiddlebugs: Going to the Zoo (EKA: Episode 0693)
- Jazz Alphabet (EKA: Episode 0666)
- Hamburger Bun Factory (EKA: Episode 0777)
- Madrigal Alphabet (EKA: Episode 0677)
- The Monster's Three Wishes (EKA: Episode 0764)
- Super Grover: Telephone Booth (EKA: Episode 0710)
- Season 5 Credit Crawl
- Episode 0001 -- A film using Johann Sebastian Bach's "Gavotte" performed by the Swingle Singers has been removed and Joe Raposo's "A Little Bit" has been inserted before the S clay animation.
- Episode 0001 -- "Consider Yourself" has been removed from the segment with Gordon and the Anything Muppets, leaving the scene otherwise intact.
- Episodes 0001 and 0131 -- The original NET and PBS logos are not seen at the end of these episodes; the 1971 PBS logo is shown instead.
- Episode 0131 -- the audio for the opening animation (which displayed the episode number) was replaced with the audio used for the animated opening for Episode 0276.
- Episode 0536 -- A scene where Big Bird and Krystal play "store" has been replaced with Grover and Big Bird demonstrating the number 2.
- Episode 0536 -- Stevie Wonder's "123 Sesame Street" has been cut and replaced with Grover and Big Bird signing off.
- All episodes -- The original copyright screens have been replaced with a 2006 Sesame Workshop copyright notice and a note that Kermit and the word “Muppet” belong to Muppets Holding Company LLC.
- The ending of "Lost Paperclips" is missing.
- The pre-title sequence to the Super Grover segment is cut.
- Season 1 Credit Crawl -- The mention of the book read during the episode, said by Jennie, is omitted.
- Despite being listed on the packaging, in several pre-release press statements, and appearing in the trailer "Pinball Number Count" is not included on the set. The pinball cartoon was made for Season 8, and appears in two episodes on the second Old School set.
- The clips for "Rubber Duckie" and "I've Got Two", though both Season 1 songs, are from the second season, as evident by the red-nosed Ernie puppet and the green staircase belonging to the garage behind Susan and Bob. (The first season did not have this set piece, as seen in "ABC-DEF-GHI".)
- The online site for the DVD (now defunct) featured extended versions of "Super Grover: Telephone Booth" and "Lost Paper Clips with Bert and John-John" not shown on the DVD.
- "Mahna Mahna" originally appeared in the online trailer, but was soon removed; the segment does not appear on the DVD.
- The set is produced by Abbey Home Media in the United Kingdom.
- Muppet Central Review (10/17/06)