Oklahoma! was the first musical written by Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II. Based on the play Green Grow the Lilacs, the musical is set in Oklahoma Territory in 1906 and follows the love triangle of cowboy Curly McLain, farm girl Laurey Williams and hired hand Jud Fry.
The original Broadway production opened in 1943 and ran for a then unprecedented 2,212 performances. It spawned an Academy Award-winning film adaptation in 1955, has enjoyed multiple revivals, and has become a staple of school and community productions since its debut.
- In a Season 20 sketch on Sesame Street, Kermit the Frog is directing Oklahoma! starring Forgetful Jones, who forgets the words to the title song, substituting "Aklahoma!," "Eeklahoma!," and "Iklahoma!" instead.
- In the book Before You Leap, Kermit states that he headlined in an all-amphibian version of the classic musical "Croaklahoma."
- Eddie Albert played Ali Hakim in the 1955 film adaptation
- Justin Bohon played Will Parker in the 2002 Broadway revival
- Barbara Cook played Ado Annie Carnes in the 1953 Broadway revival
- Florence Henderson played Laurey in the 1953 Broadway revival
- Hugh Jackman played Curly in the 1999 Great Performances broadcast
- Shirley Jones played Laurey in the 1955 film adaptation
- Andrea Martin played Aunt Eller in the 2002 Broadway revival