Nightmares & Dreamscapes is a television anthology which aired on the TNT network in July 2006. Eight one-hour episodes were adapted from the stories of horror novelist Stephen King, airing in two hour blocks over four nights. The first episode, "Battleground," was directed by Brian Henson.
"Battleground" focuses on an assassin who suffers an ironic revenge, and includes no spoken dialogue. It featured elaborate make-up effects for a group of living toy soldiers. This was supplied by Lee Romaire, a former Jim Henson's Creature Shop sculptor. The Creature Shop itself supplied digital enhancements for the scenes. As with the Lilliputians in Gulliver's Travels, the soldier performers were shot against a blue screen, and then digitally composited and enhanced to appear miniature. Though unbilled, Bill Barretta was cast as the most prominent toy, the Rambo-like Savage Commando; Barretta wore a full facial-prosthetic patterned after his own features.
- Directed by Brian Henson
- Written by Richard Christian Matheson
- Based on the short story by Stephen King
- Digital Character Animation by Jim Henson's Creature Shop
- Special Make-up Effects Designer, Los Angeles Unit: Lee Romaire
- Costume Designer, Los Angeles Unit: Karen Mason
- William Hurt as Jason Renshaw
- Bruce Spence as Hans Morris
- Mia Sara as Beautiful Passenger
- Kristy Vendy as Front Desk Clerk
- Lydia Kinkade as CNN Anchor
- Enrico Mammarella as Guard #1
- Brad McMurray as Guard #2
- Jackie Kelleher as Hans Morris' Mother
- Bill Barretta as the Savage Commando
- William H. Macy played Clyde Umney in "Umney's Last Case"