The Mutations are a trio of purple full-bodied Muppet monsters whose name is a parody of the singing group, The Temptations. They first appeared on episode 102 of The Muppet Show as Connie Stevens' back-up singers in "A Teenager in Love." In most of their subsequent appearances, the three would mostly be depicted as dancers rather than singers.
Except for their heights, which vary depending on who is performing them, the Mutations are otherwise indistinguishable from each other.
Although they were introduced as a group, they would also be featured individually in later appearances. Two Mutations, for example, appeared in "The Muppet Show Theme" (alongside Sweetums, Thog, and Timmy Monster) starting in the second season.
- The Muppet Show
- The Muppet Show Theme (Seasons 2 - 5, two Mutations)
- Episode 102: Connie Stevens ("A Teenager in Love")
- Episode 108: Paul Williams (Blackout, one Mutation)
- Episode 114: Sandy Duncan ("A Nice Girl Like Me")
- Episode 209: Madeline Kahn ("Feet")
- Episode 217: Julie Andrews ("I Whistle a Happy Tune")
- Episode 307: Alice Cooper ("School's Out", one Mutation)
- Episode 317: Spike Milligan ("Oklahoma")
- Episode 318: Leslie Uggams ("Hey There, Good Times")
- Episode 414: Liza Minnelli (one Mutation)
- Episode 421: Doug Henning (two Mutations)
- Episode 512: Melissa Manchester
- The Muppets Go Hollywood
- American Express commercial (one Mutation)
- The Great Muppet Caper
- The Muppets (two Mutations)
- Muppets Most Wanted (two Mutations)