See also: Jim Henson: Awards and Honors for a listing of posthumous awards and special recognitions.
- Jim Henson's Memorial held on May 21, 1990 at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine
- The Muppets Celebrate Jim Henson television special aired on November 21, 1990
- Tribute in the July 1990 issue of Life magazine
- A two-page spread in the Summer 1990 issue of WD Eye was dedicated to Henson with testimonials and artworks from the Disney Imagineers who worked with him.
- "Jim Henson's Dead" tribute song by Stephen Lynch
- Jim Henson Memorial Prize in Puppetry which was given by the University of Connecticut
- Jim Henson Statue and Memorial Garden at the University of Maryland
- Jim Henson Bench in New York City's Central Park
- Production dedications on The Cosby Show, Basil Hears a Noise, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze, Dinosaurs, The Muppet Christmas Carol, and Muppets Magic from the Ed Sullivan Show
In the days and weeks following Henson's death, a number of newspapers published editorial cartoons in memoriam. In an April 3rd, 2018 live video stream on the Muppet Guys Talking Facebook page for Below Stage Pass customers, Frank Oz shared a favorite of his which featured Henson meeting St. Peter at the Pearly Gates and asking him how his halo stays up.
- Many panels were created in Hunt's honor for the NAMES Project AIDS Quilt, including one created by his friends in The Muppet Workshop.
- Dedications in The Muppet Christmas Carol, the album We Are All Earthlings, and the book Jim Henson: The Works.
- The Richard Hunt Spirit Award is annually presented at the Sesame Street wrap party to the cast member who best honors the generosity in spirit and dedicated work of Richard Hunt in their actions on set.
- Jerry Juhl Day, a fan-created event to commemorate Juhl.
- Tribute display with Sesame Street characters dressed as the Count at the Jim Henson Company's 2012 New York holiday party.
- Tribute with illustration by Caroll Spinney in Life magazine's special "Farewell: Remember the Friends We Lost in 2012" issue.
- Sesame Workshop's blog used Spinney's illustration from Life, and added tributes from Fran Brill, Emilio Delgado, and Sonia Manzano.
- Episode 4411 of Sesame Street honors Jerry Nelson with a tribute to the Count.
- A television presentation of "Jane Henson's Nativity Story" as part of A New York Christmas to Remember.