The Muppet Babies Storybook Calendar 1990 is a companion calendar to Muppet Babies' Classic Children's Tales released in the same year. The calendar was published in 1989 by Muppet Press and Longmeadow Press. The calendar features photographs by John E. Barrett of the Muppet Babies characters acting out parts in classic stories. Lauren Attinello was the Art Director for the project.
Each photo includes a rat hidden in the background, possibly meant to be a Baby Rizzo.
The calendar follows the previous year's Muppet Babies Nursery Rhyme Calendar 1989.
It's interesting to note that although the characters appear somewhat true to their origins in Miss Piggy's dream sequence from Muppets Take Manhattan, the group includes Skeeter, a character introduced in the animated Muppet Babies series.
The quality taken in putting together each photo and its presentation, from lighting and color palettes, set construction to costumes, and right down to the tiny details, is reminiscent of what Mike Frith was doing in the 1980s on such projects as the Miss Piggy Calendars.
- January: Peter Pan, by J. M. Barrie - Kermit as Peter Pan, Piggy as Wendy, Scooter as John and Animal as Michael.
- February: Hans Brinker, or The Silver Skates, by Mary Mapes Dodge - Scooter and Skeeter skating by a windmill.
- March: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, by Lewis Carroll - Piggy as Alice, Gonzo as the Mad Hatter and Fozzie as the March Hare.
- April: The Jungle Book, by Rudyard Kipling - Animal as Mowgli in the jungle with exotic animals.
- May: The Wizard of Oz, by L. Frank Baum - Kermit as the Scarecrow, Gonzo as the Tin-Man, Piggy as Dorothy and Fozzie as the Cowardly Lion.
- June: Heidi, by Johanna Spyri - Piggy as Heidi with two sheep in the mountains.
- July: Treasure Island, by Robert Louis Stevenson - Kermit as Jim Hawkins and Gonzo as Long John Silver in a treasure cave.
- August: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, by the Brothers Grimm - Piggy as Snow White, with Kermit, Fozzie, Gonzo, Rowlf, Scooter, Skeeter and Animal as the dwarves at the woodland cottage.
- September: King Arthur and His Knights, retold by Sidney Lanier - Kermit as Arthur, Piggy as Guenevere, with Skeeter and Gonzo.
- October: Robin Hood, by Paul Creswick - Kermit as Robin Hood, Piggy as Maid Marian, Rowlf as Friar Tuck, Scooter as Alan-A-Dale and Fozzie as Little John.
- November: Pinocchio, by Carlo Collodi - Gonzo as Pinocchio.
- December: Hansel and Gretel, by the Brothers Grimm - Kermit as Hansel and Piggy as Gretel.