Michigan is the 26th state of the United States of America.
- Puppeteer Martin P. Robinson was born in Michigan.
- In The Muppets Take Manhattan, Gonzo joins an Aquacade based in Michigan (although the scene was actually filmed at Rye Playland in New York).
- On Sesame Street, Susan's parents come from Michigan; they visited their daughter in a 1985 episode shortly after she and Gordon adopted Miles.
- In his introduction to Jim Henson: The Works, Harry Belafonte claims to have observed children watching Sesame Street in "an over-crowed, below-poverty-level dwelling in a ghetto" in Detroit (and also in New York City and Chicago, Illinois).
- On September 29, 2006, Kermit the Frog was Grand Marshall of Michigan State University's homecoming parade in East Lansing, Michigan. He also received an Honorary Alumni Award on the 28th and made several appearances at campus events, including a brunch and a football game. 
- Big Bird was pictured on the cover of Sports Illustrated with Mark Fidrych of the Detroit Tigers in the June 1977 issue.
- To celebrate his election, in 2010, the mayor of Detroit gave over 4,500 Sesame Street Live tickets to the under-privileged, declared January 27 "Sesame Street Live Day", and gave Elmo a key to the city.