Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Flash Gordon is a science fiction comic strip originally drawn by Alex Raymond, first published on January 7, 1934. The comic strip followed the adventures of Flash Gordon, for whom the series was named, and his companions Dr. Hans Zarkov and Dale Arden. The story begins with Dr. Zarkov's invention of a rocket ship, in which the three of them make a journey to the planet Mongo, where they are stranded. Mongo is inhabited by a number of different cultures, some quite technologically advanced, that have been falling one by one under the domination of the vicious tyrant Ming the Merciless. Flash Gordon was featured in three serials starring Buster Crabbe: Flash Gordon (1936), Flash Gordon's Trip to Mars (1938), and Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe (1940).
- Kermit and Miss Piggy appeared as Flash Gordon and Dale Arden, facing off against a giant rat as Ming the Merciless in The Miss Piggy Calendar 1982. The parody was titled "Flash Frogers in Rat Wars in Outer Space."
- In 1996, Muppets Tonight episode 202 presented a spoof serial, "Lash Holstein: Space Cowdet". In the sketch, narrated by the Cow Announcer, Lash Holstein fights against Moo-ing the Merciless and his henchman over the hand of Dorothy Bovine.
- From season 35 to season 38, Sesame Street featured a regular closing segment where Oscar the Grouch reads to Slimey the adventures of "Trash Gordon". Gordon plays the titular character, who finds himself stranded on strange planets and comes up with non-combative ways of overcoming his adversaries. The book also appears as a newspaper comic strip in the 2006 direct-to-video special Elmo's Potty Time.
- In The Muppet Show Comic Book: Pigs in Space, Gonzo takes on the role of Gong the Garrulous, a nod to Ming the Merciless.
- Macaroni the Merciless, the main antagonist in Sesame Street Spaghetti Space Chase, is a parody of Ming the Merciless.
- Kenny Baker played a dwarf in the 1980 film
- Jim Carter played an Azurian man in the 1980 film
- Robbie Coltrane played a man at the airfield in the 1980 feature film
- Mike Edmonds played a dwarf in the 1980 film
- William Hootkins played Munson in the 1980 feature film
- Deep Roy played Princess Aura's Pet in the 1980 feature film
- Paul Shaffer voiced Dr. Hans Zarkov in the 1996 animated series
- Frederick Warder operated aliens (billed as "special movement") in the 1980 film