Kirk Thatcher is a writer and director who has worked with the Muppets since 1989. His career began at age 18 working for George Lucas's Industrial Light and Magic. During his time with ILM, he designed, built, painted, and puppeteered creatures for numerous films including Return of the Jedi, Star Trek II, Star Trek III, E.T., Poltergeist, and Gremlins.
Thatcher would go on to become a concept artist and designer for several music videos, served as an associate producer for Star Trek IV, and started a production company for director David Fincher.
Beginning in 1988, Thatcher worked on The Jim Henson Hour as an associate producer. Dinosaurs followed in 1991, a television series for which he developed, produced and wrote. He also designed several characters.
- Dog City
- Muppet Treasure Island (with Jerry Juhl and James V. Hart
- Muppets Tonight (all episodes)
- Muppetisms (with Jim Lewis)
- Disney Xtreme Digital (initial segments, with Jim Lewis)
- The Jim Henson Hour- designed Clifford, Vicki, Leon, Waldo C. Graphic, Zondra, Graffiti Muppets, overall set design, others
- Dinosaurs- Dinosaur designer
- Aliens in the Family
- The Jim Henson Hour- Associate producer
- Dinosaurs- Co-producer (seasons 1-3)
- Muppets Tonight- Supervising producer
- Studio DC: Almost Live!