KI.KA Sommer Tour began in 2004 and was an annual summer event, arranged by the German children's channel KI.KA (Kinder Kanal). The tour visits a handful of German cites during the summer where children can see a scripted stage show and meet the characters they know from TV.
The last KI.KA Sommer Tour was in 2013.
Among the many characters that have appeared are Sesamstrasse's Samson and Rumpel, as well as walk-around versions of Ernie and Bert. Occasionally when in Hamburg (the Sesamstrasse studio's location), the original Ernie and Bert puppets have been used for the stage show, performed by their German performers. Parts of the tour were broadcast on tour sponsor TV channel KI.KA.
The idea to the tour arose, when Sesamstrasse celebrated its 30th anniversary with a huge, public birthday party in Düsseldorf on June 15, 2003. Among the participants were Samson, Rumpel and host Nils Julius.
Known tour dates
- June 15, 2003: Düsseldorf, Hauptbahnhof (30th anniversary party)
- July, 8: Erfurt, Altstadt & Bahnhofsvorplatz
- July, 15: Darmstadt, Hauptbahnhof
- July, 22: Hannover, Neues Rathaus
- July, 29: Cologne, Roncalliplatz
- August, 5: Hamburg, Bahnhof Dammtor
- August, 12: Bremen, Hauptbahnhof
- August, 19: Halle/Saale, Hauptbahnhof
- August, 26: Munich, Olympiapark
- September, 2: Berlin, Hauptbahnhof
- September, 9: Karlsruhe, Hauptbahnhof
- July, 18: Halle/Saale, Hauptbahnhof
- July, 25: Hannover, Hauptbahnhof
- August, 1: Düsseldorf, Flughafen
- August, 8: Bad Reichenhall, Axelmannstein Resort
- August, 15: Berlin, Ostbahnhof
- August, 22: Wiesbaden, Hauptbahnhof
- August, 29: Hamburg, Bahnhof Dammtor
- September, 5: Erfurt, Landesfunkhaus/ega