Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Julie on Sesame Street was one of a series of Julie Andrews TV specials, produced by ATV and distributed by ITC. It was broadcast on ABC on November 23, 1973 and later in the UK on ITV on July 10, 1974.
Using the alleys and stoops of the Sesame Street neighborhood as the venue for this television special, Julie Andrews and Perry Como join forces with the Sesame Street Muppets for an hour of music and antics.
Highlights include the following:
- Julie sings "This Way to Sesame Street" with a high-stepping chorus line of trash cans.
- Julie and the dancers do a routine to demonstrate the number 10, in the style of many live-action inserts on the show.
- Perry Como sings "And I Love You So."
- Julie and the Muppets take to the stage in a salute to the Broadway musical, which includes production numbers from Annie Get Your Gun, West Side Story, The King and I, Guys and Dolls, and Sweet Charity, ending with "Give My Regards to Broadway."
- Julie and Perry sing "Picture a World" with the Sesame cast.
- On an empty Sesame Street set, Julie sings "What Do I Do When I'm Alone?"
- The special was filmed at Elstree Studios in United Kingdom, which meant a new street set was built; there are subtle but noticeable differences between it and the original American set.
- The original script notes feature alternate plans for the Broadway medley, including:
- Grover replacing Bert in "Fugue for Tinhorns"
- Julie singing "Pick a Pocket or Two" from Oliver! with a bunch of rag-tag Muppets. She picks the pocket of an aristocratic Muppet character, realizing too late she's picked an explosive firecracker.
- Julie singing "Do You Love Me" from Fiddler on the Roof to Oscar.
- Oscar the Grouch, Big Bird, Kermit the Frog, Ernie, Bert, Cookie Monster, Grover, Biff, Mr. Snuffleupagus, Frazzle, Anything Muppets, Grouches (as trashcan dancers)
- Jim Henson's Sesame Street Muppets: Jim Henson (unlisted), Frank Oz, Carroll Spinney, Jerry Nelson, Richard Hunt, Caroly Wilcox, Kermit Love, Jane Henson
- Producers: Gary Smith and Dwight Hemion
- Director: Dwight Hemion
- Writers: Marty Farrell, Jon Stone
- Music supervised and arranged by: Ian Fraser
- Musical numbers choreographed by: Paddy Stone
- Orchestra Conducted by: Jack Parnell
- Lighting Director: John Rook
- Audio: Ted Scott
- Musical Associate: Derek Scott
- Sesame Street is a production of The Children's Television Workshop
- Executive Producer: Blake Edwards