John Lovelady worked for The Jim Henson Company during the late 1960s and 70s as both a performer and a puppet builder. As a builder, he worked on the original Oscar the Grouch and characters for The Great Santa Claus Switch. As a puppeteer, he performed in every episode of The Muppet Show during the first season. He left the company shortly after season 1 of The Muppet Show ended, and went on to perform in a number of non-Henson puppet series.
He was born in Oxford, Mississippi, and attended the same (consolidated) grade school as Jim Henson, though he was in sixth grade while Henson in fifth. He attended the University of Memphis (1950-1953), graduating with a B.A.Sc. in Theatre, as well as the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville (1953-1955), with an M.A. in Theatre.
For nearly five decades, he has been married to Nancy McGeorge, who performed background characters on The Muppets Valentine Show. They have two children, Scott and Kate.
Henson Puppeteer Credits
- The Muppet Show: The Announcer (episodes 109, 113-117), Baskerville the Hound (episode 103), Bernie, Bruce, Crazy Harry (first season), Male Ghost, Green Frackle (episode 118), Iggy Wiggy, Nigel (first season), Rats (episodes 102, 107, 109), Talking House #1
- The Frog Prince
- The Muppet Musicians of Bremen
- The Muppets Valentine Show: Crazy Donald
- The Muppet Show: Sex and Violence: Vanity and Abraham Lincoln
- The Great Santa Claus Switch: Alarm Frackle, Bong
- The Muppet Movie: Muppet workshop coordinator
- Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas
- Adventures in Wonderland: Dormouse
- The Mother Goose Video Treasury: Gregory Griggs
- The Great Space Coaster: Knock Knock/Edison the Elephant
- Dumbo's Circus: Various Puppets
- D.C. Follies: Various Puppets and voices/puppet builder