John Lovelady joined the Jim Henson Company in 1970 as both a performer and a puppet builder. He was one of several new puppeteers chosen by Jim Henson to perform in the Christmas special The Great Santa Claus Switch. During the first season of The Muppet Show, Lovelady was a regular performer, playing the roles of Crazy Harry and the Announcer for Veterinarian's Hospital for most of that first year. Lovelady remained with the company as a builder in the New York workshop until The Muppet Movie completed production, going on to perform in a number of non-Henson puppet series.
He was born in Oxford, Mississippi, and attended the same (consolidated) grade school as Jim Henson, though he was in sixth grade while Henson was in first. He attended the University of Memphis (1950-1953), graduating with a B.A.Sc. in Theatre, as well as the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville (1953-1955), with an M.A. in Theatre.
For nearly five decades, he has been married to Nancy McGeorge, who performed background characters on The Muppets Valentine Show. They have two children, Scott and Kate.
Henson Puppeteer Credits
- The Muppet Show: The Announcer (episodes 109, 113-117), Baskerville the Hound (episode 103), Bernie, Bruce, Crazy Harry (first season), Male Ghost, Green Frackle (episode 118), Iggy Wiggy, Nigel (first season), Rats (episodes 102, 107, 109), Talking House #1
- The Frog Prince
- The Muppet Musicians of Bremen
- The Muppets Valentine Show: Crazy Donald
- The Muppet Show: Sex and Violence: Vanity and Abraham Lincoln
- The Great Santa Claus Switch: Alarm Frackle, Bong
- Julie: My Favorite Things
- Keep U.S. Beautiful: Bottle
- The Muppet Movie: Muppet workshop coordinator
- Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas
- Adventures in Wonderland: Dormouse
- The Mother Goose Video Treasury: Gregory Griggs
- The Great Space Coaster: Knock Knock/Edison the Elephant
- Dumbo's Circus: Various Puppets
- D.C. Follies: Various Puppets and voices/puppet builder