|Written by||Jeff Moss|
|Publisher|| Festival Attractions Inc.|
Backfin Music Company
"I Don't Want to Live on the Moon" is a Sesame Street song sung by Ernie, who expresses his desire to visit the moon someday, but ultimately decides he doesn't want to live there. He also sings about wanting to travel under the sea and to a few other places, as long as he is able to return home to those he loves. Originally recorded for the 1980 album The People in Your Neighborhood, it was later made into an insert during season 15.
In season 25, a new version was shot as a duet between Ernie and Aaron Neville. Jim Henson's original vocal recording was mixed with Neville's recording, giving the impression that Jim Henson was still performing three years after he died. This version was directed by Jon Stone and includes three clips from the original. (First: Episode 3242)
The song was also released as a book, I Don't Want to Live on the Moon.
A cover version performed by Ernie with Lennon & Maisy was released online in October 2016 as a part of the "Love to Learn" campaign. The video was directed by Marilyn Agrelo and features animated characters produced by Mochimochi Land with animation by Maureen Boyle.
- The original segment was a rare instance where Ernie is seen in full-body puppet form. It took three puppeteers to perform Ernie: Jim Henson performed Ernie's head and left hand, while another puppeteer worked Ernie's right hand, and another puppeteer operated Ernie's feet. This example of bunraku-style puppetry is one of the frequent uses of the chroma key technique.
- Ernie made a reference to the song in episode 3909.
- Audio (original version)
- The People in Your Neighborhood (1980)
- The Best of Ernie (1983)
- Jim Henson: A Sesame Street Celebration (1991)
- We Are All Earthlings (1993)
- Sesame Street Celebrates! (1994)
- Platinum All-Time Favorites (1995)
- Dreamytime Songs (1996)
- Bert and Ernie's Greatest Hits (1996)
- Audio (Aaron Neville version)
- Audio (Shawn Colvin version)
- Elmopalooza! (1998)
- Video (original version)
- The Best of Ernie and Bert (1988)
- Sesame Street's 25th Birthday: A Musical Celebration (1993, introduction cut)
- The World of Jim Henson (1994, excerpt)
- Video (Shawn Colvin version)
- Elmopalooza! (1998)
- The Muppets Celebrate Jim Henson (1990, excerpt)
- Sesame Street's All-Star 25th Birthday: Stars and Street Forever (1994, brief clip of Aaron Neville version only)
- The Sesame Street Songbook (1992 and 2007 editions only)
- Magic on Sesame Street (1988, interactive video)