Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
I, Claudius is a twelve part 1976 BBC TV series, based on the 1934 novel and its sequel (Claudius the God) by Robert Graves. It covers the life of the Roman Emperor Claudius, who also serves as narrator. His history spanned the death of Marcellus to Claudius' own death (though the source novel included Julius Caesar's assassination). The series was broadcast on Masterpiece Theater the following year, to critical acclaim.
An early Monsterpiece Theatre sketch spoofed the series as "Me Claudius". The show's opening title sequence in particular was parodied, with Cookie Monster taking the place of Claudius' portrait, and instead of a hissing snake, Slimey slowly crawls across the screen. The sketch itself featured Bruce Monster, Maurice Monster, Harvey Monster and a proto Elmo insisting "Me Claudius!" (à la Spartacus).
- Tony Haygarth played Claudius' slave in the first episode, "A Touch of Murder"
- John Hurt played Caligula
- Derek Jacobi played Claudius
- George Little played Tortius in the 10th episode, "Fool's Luck"
- John Franklyn-Robbins played Atticus in the seventh episode, "Reign of Terror"
- Patrick Stewart played Sejanus