Humpty Dumpty is one of the best known nursery rhymes. First published in 1803, it is thought that the original poem could have originated from the term "humpty dumpty," which was both a drink of brandy boiled with ale, or a short clumsy person. Typically portrayed as an egg, the character is not specifically referred to as such in the original text.
|“||Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall, Humpty Dumpty had a great fall. All the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put Humpty together again.||”|
One of the most famous depictions of the poem appears in Lewis Carroll's Through the Looking Glass, where the egg discusses semantics with Alice. L. Frank Baum included the egg in his 1901 book Mother Goose in Prose, and the motif of "All the King's Horses" has been used in popular music, including songs by both The Monkees and Aretha Franklin.
- Mother Goose Stories featured the rhyme in an episode of the series, where he was known as Prince Humpty Dumpty.
- Sesame Street has featured Humpty Dumpty on numerous occasions, with the most famous being a Sesame Street News Flash. He appeared, as a new puppet, in recent episodes such as Episode 4263 (voiced by Jerry Nelson).
- The Sesame Street Music Box Record Player by Fisher-Price features a record that plays a musical rendition of the rhyme.
- In a 2005 episode of Sesame Street, Baby Bear puts together a Humpty Dumpty puzzle at Storybook Community School.
- In episode 319 of The Hoobs, Tula wants to sit Humpty Dumpty on the wall, but first the floppy fellow needs stuffing.
- A segment of Fairyland PD on episode 108 of Muppets Tonight was called "The Big Crack-up," where Clifford and Bobo the Bear attempt to solve a Humpty Dumpty-type case.
- The Muppet Babies storybook Big Book of Nursery Rhymes & Fairy Tales features the Baby Rowlf in this version of the story.
- The book Abby Cadabby's Nursery Rhymes features Abby Cadabby using her magic to help put Humpty Dumpty back together again.
- Abby Cadabby dressed up as Humpty Dumpty in Abby Mix & Match Nursery Rhymes.
- The Sesame Street Treasury Volume 6 tells the story of Humpty Dumpty with Ernie, Grover, Bert, Herry and Guy Smiley.
- Humpty Dumpty appears in the Muppet Babies comic book "Story Land Caper" (Issue #8, July 1986).
- Oscar suggests Slimey use an egg shell for a Humpty Dumpty costume for Wormy Gras in a 2000 episode of Sesame Street.
- Zach Galifianakis voiced Humpty in the Shrek spin-off film, Puss in Boots.
- Howie Mandel played Humpty in Mother Goose Rock n' Rhymeland.
- Denzel Washington voiced Humpty in the Happily Ever After: Fairy Tales for Every Child episode, "Mother Goose."
- Jonathan Winters played Humpty in the 1985 TV version of Alice in Wonderland.