How I Met Your Mother is a CBS sitcom created by Craig Thomas and Carter Bays in 2005. The series is a recounting of the story of how the main character met his children's mother.
- In a season five episode, the gang complains about how disgustingly nice Marshall can be to the denizens of New York City as he walks down the street. Barney remarks that there is only one street where people are that nice. "I'll give you a hint: a giant yellow bird lives on it."
- In the season 6 episode "Glitter" the gang watches a DVD of the Canadian kid show "Space Teens", in which Robin was one of the hosts, and they start to compare it to porn. Robin defends the show and says that it's no different than The Electric Company or Sesame Street.
- In a behind-the-scenes "Making Of" for the first season, Neil Patrick Harris describes the walk he gave to former tree-hugging, hippie Barney as a "Gobo Fraggle" walk.
- Appearing on Conan to promote The Muppets, Jason Segel explains that Fozzie Bear was his favorite Muppet growing up. "Occasionally on my sitcom, How I Met Your Mother, I do the Wocka Wocka Face when it's a joke I'm not totally comfortable with." Segel then tells a joke, turns to the camera and does a silent Fozzie impression.
- Wayne Brady makes occasional appearances as James Stinson
- LeVar Burton played a taxi driver in "The Scorpion and the Toad"
- Dan Castellaneta played Milt in "Right Place Right Time"
- Bill Fagerbakke makes occasional appearances as Marvin Eriksen.
- Harvey Fierstein played Lily's Smoking Voice in "Last Cigarette Ever"
- Neil Patrick Harris plays Barney
- Katie Holmes played Naomi in "The Slutty Pumpkin Returns"
- John Lithgow makes occasional appearances as Jerry Whitaker
- Katy Perry played Honey in "Oh Honey"
- Regis Philbin appeared as himself in "The Best Burger in New York"
- Kenny Rogers played Kindly Book Narrator in "Duel Citizenship"
- Bob Saget narrates the show
- Kristen Schaal played Laura Girard in "The Platinum Rule"
- Jason Segel plays Marshall
- Martin Short makes occasional appearances as Garrison Cootes
- Alex Trebek played himself in "False Positive"
- Ben Vereen played Sam Gibs in two episodes
- "Weird Al" Yankovic played himself in "Noretta"